The Stanyan Park Hotel, designed in the Beaux Arts style by famed architectural firm Martens & Coffey for Henry P. Heagerty who had run a saloon and small boarding house on the site since 1883 is the oldest extant hotel on the border of Golden Gate Park.
When he opened his hotel, a dozen hotels already served the Park, seven on Stanyan Street alone. Heagerty responded to the competition with an elegant and fashionable structure designed to attract quality, high-paying customers. Martens & Coffey gave him the best and costliest ($28,000) of their many buildings in the neighborhood.
The building seems to have been designed all at once , but constructed sequentially. Shortly after completion, San Francisco was rocked by the famous 1906 earthquake and sustained damage. The area was, however, spared the devastating fires that consumed most of the downtown. Repairs were made and the hotel re-opened.
Over the years, the Hotel has undergone many ownership changes and has continued in the Directory listings of hotels under a variety of names: Park View Hotel, according to the 1905 Sanborn insurance map; Hotel Golden Gate, 1907-1919; Hotel Roamer, 1925-1930; Stadium Hotel, 1930-1975 (referring to Kezar Stadium across the street in Golden Gate Park); and for a brief interval in 1960-1961 as the Fremont House and finally, the Stanyan Park Hotel in 1982.
The current owners purchased the building in 1980 and had plans to remodel the building into a hotel. As they stood in front of the building one day, trying to visualize what their new hotel would look like, serendipitously a local resident came up to them to inquire if they were the new owners and asked if they would like to see a picture of the original hotel. When she returned from her apartment, she produced the historic picture on display in the lobby. The owners scrapped their planned remodel in favor of an historic renovation, restoring the hotel to it's original design with modern conveniences and structural upgrades.
The Stanyan Park Hotel, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, is a thoroughly restored Victorian Hotel that stands out for its restrained elegance.