In 1949 and 1950, the parish community of St. John’s actively campaigned to raise funds to build St. John Catholic School. The Silva family donated nearly 1/3 acre of property, which would be the site for St. John Catholic School.
Construction began, and in September 1952, the Sisters of the Presentation in San Francisco started grades 1-3, with 154 students.
The second phase, comprising four more classrooms, was added to the main building in 1957. Finally, in 1959, a wing extension was added at right angles to the main building, completing St. John Catholic School with 16 classrooms. During the 1960s, there were 12 Sisters of the Presentation on the school staff. In the fall of 1970, there were 630 students enrolled in double grades 1-8.
When the Sisters of the Presentation in San Francisco could no longer effectively staff St. John Catholic School, they invited sisters from Presentation Convent, County Limerick, Ireland, to come and continue the educational work in the spirit of Nano Nagle, their foundress.
Four Presentation Sisters came to St. John Catholic School from Ireland in 1971. A kindergarten class was added in September 1978. To support the school’s working families and to care for students before and after school hours, the School Extension Program (SEP) started in 1985. In 2006 we added a Pre-Kindergarten to meet the changing needs of our community and to help our young learners prepare for a lifetime of excellence and achievement.
Today, St. John Catholic School is a single-stream school with grades PreK-8. Our current enrollment is more than 225 students. The population represents students from neighboring and surrounding communities as far away as Oakland and Livermore… families travel to be Shamrocks and share in the special spirit of our community