On June 29, 1927, the Northbrook Park District was formed with Commissioners Clarence Bartelme, Wallace Clore, J.W. Cooksey, E.D. Landwehr and Herman Meier, President. The first order of business was to appropriate an $1,800 budget for fiscal year 1927.
In 1994, the District became the first park district in the United States to be accredited by the National Park and Recreation Association (NPRA) for its management, programming and operational proficiency. Then in 1996, the District received the National Gold Medal Award from NPRA for excellence in park and recreation management.