In 1970, Don Sweeney opened up Sweeney’s Sports, at 1601 Lincoln Avenue (its original location, across from Napa High School) which specialized in diving, fishing and camping supplies.
Don was known for his warm personality and would tell every customer that “the pot of coffee was in the back” and to help themselves and to stay for a visit. Don took the time to really get to know all of his customers and customer service became a top priority.
In 1984, Mike Sweeney purchased the business from his father. Mike decided to grow the business with the addition of hunting and fly fishing lines to the existing sport fishing and camping areas. The store remained at the original location until 1997, when Mike moved the store to its current location at 1537 W. Imola Avenue.
Mike was also known for his eagerness to work with his customers and to hear all about their adventures. That pot of coffee was moved to the front of the store, just inside the front door, and all were “welcome to help themselves”.