In 1851, Moreland was established as one of the first school districts in California (District #2). Instruction was provided in a private home. On November 13, 1852, teacher Samuel Rogers purchased the home of Zechariah Moreland for $350 to establish the district. The home was located at the corner of Payne and Saratoga Avenues, northeast of the old oak tree (officially named “The Moreland Oak Tree” in August, 1981). It remained the schoolhouse until 1894 when Moreland Elementary School was built at that location. The picture on our home page is part of a picture taken in 1933. The facility was planned to take care of the ultimate growth of the Moreland School District. At first, only the lower floor was used. The upper floor was occasionally used for dances until it was needed for classroom space. The school remained a district learning facility until 1949 when population growth and age forced its closure. In 1951, the building was removed from the site. The Moreland Apartment Complex, a senior housing center, now occupies the site and a plaque designates it as Historical Landmark #489. The original school bell from the front of the building was saved and stands outside of the present Moreland School District Office as a reminder of our proud history.