As young children will, these girls formed a "club" and decided to give a circus for the enjoyment of their parents, friends and neighbors. Mrs. W. B. Weir, the mother of one of the girls, suggested that the proceeds of this circus be given to the Stanford Convalescent Home (now called Lucille Packard Children's Hospital). The first circus was held in the summer of 1920 on the W. B. Weir property at Middlefield Road and Glenwood Avenue. Youngsters performed on their ponies and horses while others brought pet cats, goats and dogs which they had taught to do stunts. The first circus raised $500 for the Stanford Convalescent Home.
The following year, the circus grew. Adults promoted the circus into a social event, drawing people from as far north as San Francisco and as far south as San Jose. The third year, the circus became even larger, as did the social event, and it became obvious to parents the circus had outgrown the two fields. In the fall of 1922, land was purchased for the development of Menlo Circus Club, which was incorporated the following year.
Over the years, the Club has been the scene of outstanding horse shows, polo matches, swimming events, tennis tournaments and gala parties. While the present Menlo Circus Club has evolved from its simple family beginnings--children's parties, family picnics, trail rides, etc.--it has always been and continues to be a family club.