Social Media Manager Overview
Do you love social media? Are you confidently posting great content while the rest of us cower with social media anxiety? Social media managers are the digital face of a business.
If you have accounts on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Google+, Pinterest, and even more, it’s a sign that working as a social media manager is the job for you!
Social Media Managers work within the marketing department of a business. All of their responsibilities revolve around attracting more customers/users and increasing brand awareness. Here are some specific responsibilities:
- Create Campaigns. You will need to create and maintain new marketing campaigns or brand promotions across a variety of social media platforms.
- Monitor the progress of marketing campaigns. You will do this using web analytics tools.
- Answer social media inquiries. You'll need to do this using the company’s voice and guidelines.
Stay in the social media-loop. Be on the lookout for the latest online trends about topics, hashtags, and platforms.
- Creativity. You must be ready to develop new content for the business daily!
- Comfort with numbers. This skill is needed to measure the effectiveness of your content campaigns.
- Ability to navigate web analytics tools.
- Ability to work on a team. Your social media efforts will be part of broader marketing initiatives. Make sure you’re on the same page with your co-workers.
- Understanding the bigger picture. As the social media manager, you’ll need to convey the vision of the business quickly and in an engaging way.
Writing skills. Catchy tag lines can make or break any social media post.
You’ll need to be comfortable with social media platforms to get this job. A degree in marketing or related subjects is helpful but not necessary. Social media experience is the most important thing. The more experience you have, the easier it will be for you to get a job as a social media manager at a great business.